Building on over 50 years of economic development and planning by Tsuut’ina, a genuine partnership was formed with Canderel to plan, finance and develop Taza along the path of Tsuut’ina Trail, a component of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road highway expansion. This partnership thrives on a generosity of spirit at every exchange, setting the tone for something wondrous to come.
The Tsuut’ina Nation was established in 1877 by the signing of Treaty 7, which predates the incorporation of the city of Calgary in 1894 and the establishment of the Province of Alberta in 1905. The Tsuut’ina have a fully independent culture and a long history of progression and innovation. Tsuut’ina is governed by a Chief and Council and operates its own Administration, Business and Service programs, including Tosguna (Police), the Tsuut’ina Fire Department, Public Works and Civic Services.
In October of 2013, the Tsuut’ina Nation and the Province of Alberta signed an historic agreement which would allow for the Southwest extension of the Calgary Ring Road through Tsuut’ina land. This pivotal deal opened the door for a genuine partnership between the Tsuut’ina Nation and Canderel to plan and develop one of the largest First Nation development projects in North America.
Canderel is a leading innovator in Canadian real estate investment, development, and asset and property management with offices in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. Canderel’s management portfolio exceeds 23.2 million square feet and the company has acquired, developed and managed projects valued over $15 billion since its founding in 1975.